De Nieuwe Ooster cemetery in Amsterdam was designed by landscape architect Springer in 1889. He created a landscaped park with a symmetrical entrance area, which was completed with neo-Renaissance buildings designed by architect Weissman. In 1939 the central reception building was replaced with an auditorium by city architect Leupen.
Bierman Henket architects designed and supervised the redevelopment of the entrance area, in close collaboration with landscape architects Karres+Brands. Later additions were demolished, and functions have been reorganized and adapted to meet current standards within the framework of the listed building. New volumes are light and open in form, and the original geometric composition has been restored.
The Barenloods building has been transformed into a small auditorium. An intricate structure of zinc pitched roofs resting on columns and wooden walls folds around the monumental building. This extension contains the reception spaces, a coffee room and technical rooms.
Gemeente Amsterdam, stadsdeel Oost
ABT adviesbureau voor bouwtechniek bv,
Huisman & van Muijen bv, Bremen bouwadviseurs,
Aannemingsbedrijf F.W. Onrust
Karres en Brands landschapsarchitecten